New Student Orientation
The Berry College orientation program for incoming freshmen and transfer students is a two-part process. The first part is SOAR (June 2016) and the second part is Viking Venture (August 17-21, 2016). It is designed to assist incoming freshmen, transfers, and their families with the transition into the Berry community. The cost is $135 and will be included on your fall tuition statement which you will receive at SOAR.
Registration for one of the SOAR sessions (see SOAR Dates) is available via your Viking Web account beginning March 2016. All SOAR sessions are the same. There is no advantage to attending an early session. All new student schedules are made in May.
What Happens at SOAR?
Student Orientation Advising and Registration welcomes new freshmen and transfer students, and answers many important questions. During SOAR you and your parents:
- Meet your academic advisor and receive your fall class schedule
- Meet your work supervisor and learn about your first Berry College job
- Receive your housing assignment for Fall 2016
- Receive your Berry College email address and post office box
- Meet 124 other new students
- Meet 17 exceptional SOAR Leaders who want to help you transition to Berry
- Spend a night on campus in a residence hall
Both the SOAR Student Schedule and the SOAR Parent Schedule are posted in the left hand column of this page to give you an idea about the schedule since 2016 will mirror 2015 schedules. Parents are responsible for arranging their own accommodations. (See SOAR Accommodations)
What do I need to bring to SOAR?
- Your current health insurance card or a copy of it
- Any of the required health forms that have been completed (some can be sent on-line and some require physician's signature)
- If you plan to participate in the Student Work Program, you will need one of the following:
- an unexpired state-issued ID (driver's license) and original Social Security card (no copies) OR
- an unexpired state-issued ID (driver's license) and a certified copy of your birth certificate OR
- a valid, unexpired passport
What is Viking Venture?
Viking Venture is a continuation of the orientation activities at SOAR taking place prior to the beginning of fall semester (August 17-21, 2016).
- All new freshmen and transfers taking BCC 100 are required to participate
- Provides resources to assist with the transition to Berry College
- Connect with new peers, faculty, and staff
- First-year and transfer seminar course (BCC100) begins August 20 and is coordinated by the Office of First Year Experience
- Each BCC class is coordinated by a faculty or staff member along with a first-year mentor, an upperclass student who will assist their class members as they transition into college and the Berry community
- International students are invited to attend a special orientation program that will begin the Tuesday before classes begin (August 20, 2016)
The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for planning, evaluating, and administering new student orientation programs at Berry College with the help of the Head SOAR Leader. Contact:
Lindsey Taylor, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs (706-236-2209) or email