Lesson 2: Three Steps to Becoming an Effective Tutor
STEP ONE: Be prepared for your tutoring session.
STEP TWO: Know your client's academic needs and concerns.
STEP THREE:Employ the following features of a good tutoring session:
- Give your client your undivided attention.
- Be empathetic with your client's problems.
- Be honest with your client.
- Set the agenda for the session.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Interact with your client; don't forget to listen!
- Learn your client's strengths and weaknesses so you can improve on his/her weaknesses by using his/her strengths.
- Use positive reinforcement; compliment your client when he/she performs well.
- Know when it is time to end the session.
- Always try to end the session on a positive note and schedule the next session if necessary.
- Fill out your paperwork to get paid!
Complete Assignment Two